Shopping for the best adult diapers or incontinence pants for Seniors is not what anyone would look forward to, believe me. Not you – and certainly not us.
However, the scenario above projects an ideal world – a world where things are perfect and mishaps non-existent.
In the real world however (the one we all share), Alzheimer, Parkinson’s, Senile Dementia, other health conditions and general old age make Seniors/our elderly loved ones incontinent. When this happens, it is only logical and proper that we seek to help them as best as we can.
Or, it could be us, directly.
If you’re thus looking for the best incontinence pants for your aged loved ones (of yourself), you’ve come to the right place.
5 Best Adult Diapers/Incontinence Pants for Seniors & the Elderly (A Smart Review)
Chronicled and reviewed below are best adult diapers that are currently available on the market. They are placed here in order of our editorial rating.
1. Tranquility Premium OverNight Pull-On Diapers
The Tranquility Premium Overnight Pull-On Adult Diapers are a distinct, unique and practical diaper set suitable for Seniors and the elderly. Combining a taller, full-rise waist panel with the trim look of an ordinary underwear, this diaper does not look or feel like an incontinence product at all.
The means that, the elderly user has no challenges at all with both dignity – and ease of use – the two greatest issues that bother the elderly when they are faced with the choice of a diaper or when they go shopping for the best adult diapers there are in the market.
Providing daytime and nigh time absorbencies (depending on your choice and need), the Tranquility brand of absorbent underwear promises – and actually delivers an unsurpassed skin dryness, odor retention and most importantly, leakage protection for both moderate and heavy incontinence needs.
Best Features of the Tranquility Premium Overnight Pull-on Adult Diapers
- Pull-on regular underwear style design. This style provides for easy wear and removal of incontinence underwear while ensuring that it does not come off accidentally.
- (Super) excellent absorbency capable of holding waste for up to 12 hours without proving uncomfortable to the wearer or soiling the sheets or clothing.
- Impressive odor retention and leakage protection made possible by the 34 oz absorbency. The superior construction ensures that odor and leaks are completely impossible.
- Rustle free design: the diaper is manufactured to feel like normal briefs. It is thus completely free of rustle when worn.
- Wide range of body sizes are catered for…34 – 48 inches covered. This means that, it will fit the majority of Seniors and elderly without any issue.
- Dual protection available. This is available in both daytime and nighttime absorbency to cater for the needs of the moment as required.
- Easy pull-on design: this makes both putting on and taking off the diaper as easy and stress free as possible.
2. Abena Abri-Flex Air Plus Pull-Ons
The Abena Abri-Flex pull-ons are one of the leading adult diapers particularly known all through Europe and the US for both their high quality and supreme absorbency.
Designed with leak up guards, four-strand elastic around the legs, a wetness indicator and an additional extra-tall waistband for added protection, this diaper is designed to give users awesome service that not all competitors can boast of.
When the rustle-less feature and the latex free realities are factored, the Abena Abri-Flex pull ons are adult diapers worth seriously considering for the aged/elderly in their time of (incontinence) need.
Best Features of the Abena Abri-Flex Pull-ons
- Latex free design…many users are allergic to latex – and latex products. Luckily, the Abri-Flex Pull-ons are free of latex.
- Extra absorbency; this feature guarantees the greatest retention and ensures that waste does not escape or soil the user, clothing or sheets.
- Breathable, cloth-like fabric backing: this gives users the exact feeling of wearing normal underwear; no rustle.
- Stand-up leak-guards: this ensures that waste does not ‘surprise’ users by leaking away when they stand up.
- Tear away side seams. These are for easy use and removal. This is super helpful when the users are bedridden or confined to a wheel chair.
- Wide range of users catered for: fits waists 32 to 44 inches.
- Impressive absorbency: 37 oz – this can pretty much last throughout the whole night.
- Discreet white color: if you’re concerned about privacy, this extra (thoughtful) feature would particularly please you.
3. MoliCare Mobile Underwear
If you’re shopping for the perfect adult diaper particularly suitable for the active person with heavier needs (who also prefers a pull-on style underwear), the MoliCare Mobile Underwear is what you should consider.
Manufactured with a soft breathable waterproof fabric to reduce skin irritation and hold waste better, the MoliCare underwear absorbs moisture rapidly and feels as comfortable on the skin as a simple cotton underwear.
The features above also means that it remains as slim as possible, reducing the chances of anyone ever noticing that the user has anything on rather than a conventional underwear.
Best Features of the MoliCare Underwear
- High level absorbency that keeps users dry – unconditionally.
- Ample room between leg cuffs & tall leak guard to guard against leaks.
- Rapid moisture absorption…this ensures that users are kept dry as fast as possible.
- Quiet cloth-like design and feel.
- Latex-free, completely.
- Ability to serve heavier incontinence needs.
4. Tranquility ATN (All-through-the-Night) Fitted Briefs
Unarguably the heaviest absorbency diaper (from Tranquility), the Tranquility ATN Fitted Briefs designed with two re-fast-enable tape tabs on each side and is meant to last users the whole night, hence the ‘ATN’ in the name: ‘All Through the Night’.
Fitted with Kufguard leak-guards and a wetness indicator, they are the perfect fit for the Senior who wishes to sleep in peace all through the night and is also concerned about privacy…they are packed in a generic color for added discretion especially during wear.
They fit waists ranges from 32 to 44 inches.
Best Features of the Tranquility ATN
- Overnight absorbency to aid users sleep like a baby all through the night.
- Super discrete color both in packaging and actual use.
- Two refasten-able tape tabs on each side that makes using the diaper and disposing it super easy for Seniors.
- Kufguard leak-guards; these ensure no leak comes out when in use.
- Wetness indicator.
- Skin dryness guarantee.
- Odor control.
- Neutralization of urine – and inhibition of bacterial growth.
5. Attends Incontinence Care Briefs for Adults
The Attends Incontinence Care Briefs for Adults provide maximum protection with fast fluid acquisition and the lowest possible re-wet. Accordingly, they ensure the longest possible time between a change and another one. This important feature makes them the completing diapers we have selected to complete this list of the best adult diapers for Seniors.
Equipped with waistband and 6 tape tabs for comfortable fit, they are gradually becoming very popular especially in the US.
Best Features of the Attends Incontinence Care Briefs for Adults
- 6 tape tabs for a super comfortable fit.
- Lowest re-wet rates.
- Super comfortable.
- Nice thin design that is hardly noticed under clothing
The Need for the Best Adult Diapers (for Seniors)
The human life cycle is a true circle – it goes round and begins where it started, initially.
This means that, at a certain point, a Senior Citizen or an elderly relative will start behaving exactly like a baby – if blessed with long life enough.
While such an impressive long life is surely a blessing many wish for, it also comes with some challenges that may not be very easy to handle and outrightly embarrassing if not handled well. One of such challenges is the management of body wastes – especially urine and feaces.
This is the primary reason why you would need an adult diaper – or actively seek out the best adult diapers with the most absorbency either for yourself as a Senior Citizen or a relative who has been so blessed with enviable long life.
You could also look for an awesome adult diaper for adults, particularly Seniors if you’re a caregiver – and an elderly patient needs their services.
However, good old age aside, there is also another instance that shopping incontinence pants for adults – especially the aged makes perfect sense: when your (aged) loved ones are afflicted with a challenging disease, confined to a wheel chair or bed ridden.
In this instance, opting for an incontinence brief makes perfect sense for both the medically challenged elderly person and the care giver: both are more relaxed and during the night, both can enjoy their sleep uninterrupted.
Of course, a last instance exist where the use of an adult diaper makes perfect sense and you’ll naturally be eager to get the best adult diapers you can find either online or offline: during a case of permanent (or temporarily) physical challenges.
In such an instance, it makes perfect sense that the elderly user or Senior be given all the assistance he/she can get so that even when no one is immediately around, he/she can still enjoy life and feel completely normal.
What to Look out for When Shopping for Incontinence Pants for the Elderly
When shopping for incontinence pants for Seniors (for whatever reason), there are a few things to actually look out for.
The features/points you should look out for are carefully chronicled below and succinctly explained.
1. Absorbing Capability: Whether an absorbent underwear is targeted at either liquid waste, solid bodily waste (or both), there is one super important feature to consider first and foremost – its absorbency.
The traditional absorbency of an adult diaper will provide superior comfort for the Senior Citizen using them and will ensure that they do not need to be changed frequently.
These qualities inspire confidence in the user and also make care giving inspiring and completely fun 🙂
Adult diapers that meet this specification retain waste well in the range of 24-34 oz. Aside this, they are built with heavy elastic around their tabs, leg opening and waist opening (for the pull up designs).
This should be the number one feature you should look for in an absorbency brief or pants when you think or shop for best adult diapers for Seniors or the elderly.
2. Odor Retention: The odor retention of any incontinence pants for adults is super important, especially if it is aimed at fecal retention.
To get this right, you’ll need to check with the particular brand you are about purchasing and look out particularly for express notes/instructions that implicates the fact that odor is retained.
Aside this however, another smart way of gauging odor retention is to check the thickness of the padding and importantly, estimate how tightly the adult diaper grips at the thighs.
The tighter the elastic provision at the thighs, the better/effective the pant will eventually prove when it comes to keeping the odor away.
This point is super important and of utmost importance…you may need to take special care to remember it.
3. Size: The size of the adult diaper you are deciding on should be an important and super paramount point to consider.
The reason is that, elderly persons/Senior Citizens have different body sizes. Conversely too, adult diapers come in different sizes, meant for different body trims.
Usually, there are XL, L, M & S – translating to extra large, large, medium and small. However, some manufacturers simply offer them in large, medium and small units.
Before purchase therefore, it is important to note the size that will best fit you – or the loved one you are buying for before making the all important purchase.
Kindly note that, failure to get the right fit may result in the diaper not fitting as desired and consequently, performing far below your expectations.
4. Style: Generally, absorbent adult diapers for Seniors/the elderly come in two distinct styles/designs: the pull up style and the tabs design model.
The pull up design comes in the form of regular pants or briefs – and is worn in the same manner a regular underwear is worn. In fact, the philosophy behind this design is that, incontinence pants should look, feel and be worn in the same manner as traditional pants, briefs or boxers.
The tabs design is a little bit different. An adult incontinence pant that is ‘powered’ by tabs has either Velcro or buttons by the side and is operated in that fashion – much like the traditional diaper kids rely on.
Now, there isn’t much difference between the two design models and you may as well pick on anyone.
However, if an elderly person is sensitive – or does prefer one over the other, it is certainly worth taking the pain to ensure that the style that fits better and is preferred is actually purchased (and used).
Further, from our research and experience, a bedridden Senior or elderly person will be far better of with the tabs model – especially since it provides better ease of both use and disposal.
Adult Diaper Brands
There are many adult diaper brands in the market…it would thus take considerable space here and super tedious reading if we are to attempt to list them all here.
However, here are the most popular (starting with the least popular actually 🙂 ):
- Maxi Care
Adult Diapers for Men
Ordinarily, there are no special adult diapers for men. Adult incontinence diapers serve both men and women and are accordingly, unisex.
However, there are some brands that are made specially for men in mind. The Tena Incontinence Guard for Men is a perfect example.
However, be kindly informed that all the diapers reviewed here are brilliantly unisex and can be worn by both adult males or females.
Adult Diapers for Women
Like a dedicated adult diaper for men, women have no special diaper type reserved for them. However, of late, there has been some special diapers that are manufactured specially with women in mind.
One of such incontinence undies is the Prevail Dri-Fit Collections Underwear for Women.
Take note however that women can also use any of the adult diapers reviewed here since all of them have been designed to serve both sexes comfortably.
Diapered Men/Women: Is There any Shame in Using Incontinence Pants as an Elderly Person?
There are many reasons why you may need to use a diaper as an elderly person or desire to have it used by your loved one who is a Senior Citizen.
However, whatever is the reason that makes its use necessary for either you or your loved one, two (2) things are important to note:
- It is not your fault;
- It is a tonne worse if you embarrass yourself in public because of your resistance to use one.
The summary? An incontinence pants is like a drug to an elderly user (or any other user for that matter). It is necessary to preserve dignity and avoid embarrassment and should NOT in any instance, arouse shame in users or caregivers.
We wish you the best as you decide on your choice.
This website is an active participant in the Amazon Affiliate Program. This means that, as an Amazon Associate, its webmaster(s) earn from qualifying purchases on Amazon.com (or any of its affiliated sites).