Getting old is fun and challenging at the same time; there are a lot of memories and fun times to relive; but at the same time, there are also challenges that pose themselves at the slightest provocation.
…challenges that weren’t there, ten-fifteen years ago.
One such challenge is the reality of needing a walker to actually move about either because your knees simply no longer cooperate or because of a small, slight accident (or incident) that makes using them, at least for the moment, a no brainer.
Ordinarily, for us Americans, bigger has always proved better: a bigger house, a bigger car or bigger bank account.
Sadly though, in the world of walkers, this logic does not always hold true – and as a matter of fact, there are instances when you’ll actually be on the lookout for narrow walkers, capable of fitting tight spaces as a senior or an elderly person.
This is why we’ve outlined the top 5 best narrow walkers for tight spaces perfect for you as an aged person in the paragraphs below.
However, if you are in a hurry, here is a summary of the best narrow walkers for seniors, perfect for small spaces and tight storage areas.
- Drive Medical Nitro Euro Style Rollator Walker.
- Able Life Space Saver Walker.
- Drive Medical Winnie Lite Supreme Aluminum Three Wheel Rollator.
- Drive Medical Deluxe Two Button Folding Walker.
- Vive Folding Walker (Plus Bag and 2 Wheels).
Please, note that all links above open to Amazon directly.
Now, with the summary done, let’s cover an interesting part, one that defines our very essence here: Why would you need a narrow walker or rollator in the first place?
Why Would You Need A Narrow Walker In The First Place?
Below, we have beautifully outlined the circumstances that would warrant shopping for a narrow walker in the first place.
These circumstances are:
1. If You Live In A Small Apartment
This goes without saying – and is the most important reason why you should (or would) consider getting a narrow walker in the first place.
While we all appreciate large apartments and generally hold that the larger an apartment, the better it is, such an apartment comes, always, at a huge price many Seniors or the aged may not be able to afford, given a general decrease in income vis-à-vis the price of such a large apartment and the maintenance tag that follows it up.
If this is your reality as a Senior or an elderly person, getting a walker that permits you to actually use it within the confines of your apartment is relaxing to know.
2. If Storage Space Is An Issue
Sometimes, a small apartment may not be the issue: many seniors and elderly persons have large apartments but these apartments are equally populated with things that shrink the space available to store things.
All thanks to grand-children, spouses, in-laws and importantly, yourself, storage space is now quite a tricky situation that must be handled with the delicate hands it deserves.
If this happens to somehow describe you or your current reality, you need to consider a walker that will not threaten the existing space any further; you need a small, narrow walker.
3. If You’re Lean And Not Overweight Or Large
As most Americans age, the tendency to grow overweight increases, and for some (no thanks to inactivity and decreased strength), obesity actually ensures.
On the flip side, however, there are many elderly men and women who have managed to keep fit, right through the aging process. For others, this is the work of genes; for another cross-section, this process has been taken a step further by the very means of age and they have lost appreciable weight, making them lean in the process.
If you’re in this category, there is no point in getting a large walker (that would also prove to be bulky and heavy).
Instead, a simple option that fits your weight frame and importantly, can support your weight without compromise should be the considered option.
On the flip side too, such an option will certainly prove to be cheaper on and light on the wallet too – so you save money in the process; money you can direct to fund your other needs like medications and basic bills.
4. If You’re Going To Be Commuting With The Walker Frequently
Getting old does not mean being infirm. Some persons who are aged and elderly may still need to commute frequently either with their own private cars (with or without a driver) or may need to use public transport.
Either way, if you’re going to be commuting on a frequent basis, a regular – large walker or rollator would not only prove cumbersome; in many instances, it will be outrightly impractical to even consider.
If this describes your reality as an elderly adult, your best wet will be a lean, narrow rollator or walker that is commuter-friendly.
5. If You Need To Climb Stairs Or Navigate Doors All The Time
Finally, not every Senior or elderly person has the luxury of living on the ground floor of a house or an apartment.
If you are an aged person and where you live needs some flight of stairs or an elevator to physically access your living quarters, you will need a special walker that is narrow enough to fit into on the stairs or elevator.
This reality is especially true if you are totally dependent on the walker for mobility, do not have a caregiver around all the time, or are likely to share the stairs or elevator with a number of persons at any given point in time.
The 5 Best Narrow Walkers & Rollators Perfect For Seniors & The Elderly
Carefully elaborated below are the 5 best narrow walkers and rollators for Seniors and the elderly (that fit tight spaces in a brilliant manner).
These walkers and rollators have found themselves here based on their quality, how easy to use they are, how senior-friendly they are designed, and obviously, how perfectly they fit into and around tight spaces.
1. Drive Medical Nitro Euro Style Rollator Walker
For Seniors or the elderly who either travel a lot or prefer not to have their walkers or rollators take any impressive storage space when not in use, living this reality can prove a challenge.
This is because the bulk of the walkers commercially available today are designed primarily to do one of these two things: support weight and doing it in the best possible way – as adjudged by the user.
Accordingly thus (and with these specifications in mind), space optimization and the ease of doing so for either travel or storage are usually not top priorities for the plethora of options available in the rollator market.
This is where the Drive Medical Nitro Euro Style Rollator Walker comes in; this is also where it changes the game. Entirely.
Engineered from the ground up to be extremely lightweight (at 17.50 lb) and sturdy, this walking support, though made to be super space-efficient in actual use, travel, and storage is still capable of supporting weights north of 300 lb!
However, the rollator has other smartly thought of features and specs that make it quite interesting and an absolute joy for the aged who need walking support while desiring same to be space-efficient.
For example, the walker can be smartly folded or ‘narrowed’ down with the use of one hand – in about 5 seconds or less, irrespective of the age or health condition of its user.
This is a feature that resonates well with us and coupled with its other brilliant specs below, has convinced us that there is actually none better than it in the business of delivering compact, smartly thought out rollators.
What Makes The Drive Medical Nitro Euro Style Rollator Walker Stand Out?
- A simple fold in design that ensures that the walker reduces to more than half its span for either storage or use in tight spots.
- The ability to fold the walker with just one hand – irrespective of age or medical conditions.
- A super comfortable nylon seat that sees to it that users are very comfortable when they decide to sit down.
- The handle height of this walker is adjustable. This ensures both a customized feeling and the reality of uncompromised safety.
- A super lightweight aluminum frame that features a standard built-in cable for extra safety.
- Large front wheels that ensure better maneuverability come standard.
- The deal closer, of course, remains a storage bag that removes the need to carry otherwise light things on your person or in another bag.
Walkers (like most things in life) are subject to the particular subjective taste of users – one that is formed after active use and a resolution arising therefrom.
However, we are positive that the chances of you actually loving (not liking) this rollator are high.
To be sure, however, kindly hop on to Amazon directly and check out what the Drive Medical Nitro Euro Style Rollator Walker offers.
2. Able Life Space Saver Walker
As you grow older and the silver lining on your hair perfects, only one thing is certain: your tastes will change and generally, you’ll be more inclined to minimalism – the reality of wanting just what is necessary out of a thing (or life generally), the very bare minimum and nothing more.
Unfortunately, society does not always appreciate this desire by Seniors to be on the minimal in all that they do. Instead, there is a grand ‘conspiracy’ to frustrate this legitimate desire of the elderly by making things as complex as can be!
This reality, on its own, is quite frustrating. However, when applieed to a walking aid, things generally go south and joy is far from being obtained.
It is in this light that the Able Life Space Saver Walker brilliantly presents itself as an option that is not only easy to use and quite minimalistic to operate but one that in addition, is also low on space requirements.
With just a set of front wheels, this super compact, lightweight rollator is designed in a manner that ensures that it brilliantly folds four (4) times smaller than the standard, conventional walker available today.
With height adjustment and the reality of being able to nicely fit into trunks, back seats, front row passenger compartments and other otherwise tight spots, this rollator provides support for the elderly who like things basic, simple and sure.
For those who love some spice, there is provision for the installation of a pouch – and some swivel wheel kit, that will ensure better service and importantly, confidence when deploying its use both at home and during transits.
What Makes The Able Life Space Saver Walker Stand Out?
- Like its name, this rollator features a design that is optimized especially for space-saving and an extremely lightweight reality.
- Despite being ultra utilitarian and weighing only 8lb, the walker can support weights of up to 400 lb – making it capable of serving just any (and every) Senior citizen in need of its service.
- This could very well be the most compact-capable walker in the entire world. The unit folds almost flat, presenting no transit or storage challenges at all.
- Finally, despite its utilitarian roots, the walker can be made to carry on a strap-on bag as an accessory and if this pleases you, some caster wheels too.
The Able Life Space Saver Walker puts to shame the efforts of manufacturers and society, in general, to complicate your life as a Senior or elderly person.
It also negates the generally held belief that walkers are bulky, take up storage space, and are a serious challenge to transport.
3. Drive Medical Winnie Lite Supreme Aluminum Three Wheel Rollator
There are a growing number of elderly persons for whom moving around in a walker that is designed to practically go anywhere is something that they cannot simply do without.
The tight spaces these Seniors need to navigate daily, the mobile storage that they need while in transit, the ease of use of a walker (generally) – and its storage or a lack thereof are all serious and very important issues that this unique set of persons face.
If this describes your reality and as a matter of fact, your life could use a smaller, smarter walker at the moment, preferably a three-wheeler, nothing could possibly beat the Drive Medical Winnie Lite Supreme Aluminum Three Wheel Rollator.
It is simply your best bet at the moment (as far as tight spaces and walker storage in transit are concerned.
However, this is just the tip of the iceberg; with a smaller overall frame (when fully open) comes the reality of being able to put the rollator away in practically any manner you please: propped against the wall, in the rear seat’s floor, in the trunk and just about any place that you appreciate.
Another feature elderly users appreciate is its shopping cart style – which as a matter of fact can be capitalized on, making the unit work brilliantly as a shopping cart, especially in stores that may not have special carts for the elderly or those who need special carts to support their balance issues.
What Makes The Drive Medical Winnie Lite Supreme Aluminum Three Wheel Rollator Stand Out?
- An ultra-compact design that sees to it that the walker can be used and stored practically anywhere.
- A cart design system that can be taken advantage of, turning the rollator into a shopping cart when and where the conventional carts prove too tricky.
- Precise brakes that actually brake in an accurate manner.
- Large 7.5″ casters with soft grip tires, perfect for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Smart adjustable handles for easy operation.
- An easy folding function that can be perfected with just a single hand.
Few walking assists currently in production today offer this wide range of options and are as versatile as the Drive Medical Winnie Lite Supreme Aluminum Three Wheel Rollator.
If getting a walker that is versatile, easy to store, and importantly, a breeze to use is important to you, then, this is an option you’ll have a take a look at on Amazon directly.
4. Drive Medical Deluxe Two Button Folding Walker
As you get older, the fear of falls and of losing control generally gets stronger.
This fear becomes worse when you have stability issues during the walking process and somehow, still have to move from place to place to get things done or even for basic things as waste elimination.
Accordingly thus, many Seniors and the elderly today have expressed interest in walkers that are easy to control; options with very controlled casters which ultimately prove safer than options with a full caster assembly.
However, the difficulty of this manner of selection or desire stems from the fact that most of the options with just two casters are not exactly easy to use or navigate oneself around with. This, for the elderly, is always a deal-breaker when shopping for rollators or walkers.
If the above covers your reality and for some time, you have been looking for walking support without full casters (and one that also doubles as very reliable and easy to use); you should expressly take a long and interested look at the Drive Medical Deluxe Two Button Folding Walker.
Designed primarily with the ease of use in mind, this walker will easily pass off as something the Spartans had a hand in inventing: the unit is simple, its design without any fluff and its intended use sharp and quite straight to the point.
To achieve this, the walker comes with only two (as against four) casters – with each of the casters working independently of the other for better navigation in tight spots; while at the same time making the rear easily glide along.
This glide, it is worth noting, is double-edged: it is easy to glide over most surfaces while at the same time acting as an aid that stops a fall or slide if and when there is the need.
However, above all else, what makes this walking aid super reliable and a favorite of many is that, while remaining lightweight and easy to use itself, the rollator can easily accommodate weights that even the users have a hard time believing.
What Makes The Drive Medical Deluxe Two Button Folding Walker Stand Out?
- The walker is made of aluminum and hence is super strong, capable of handling very impressive weights. At the same time, it is super light and very durable.
- Two casters that are very easy to manipulate around.
- Contoured handgrip that makes the gripping process almost perfect on the walker.
- The rear gliding system of the rollator gives a certain level of confidence that is hard to match using other models with full casters.
- The rollator is height adjustable and brilliantly adjusts to the height differences of users without challenges.
For many Seniors and the elderly, this walking aid represents all the freedom in the world that they have lost; freedom that it would be awesome regaining again. Freedom to move from one place to another without any sort of challenge or hindrance.
Check out the Drive Medical Deluxe Two Button Folding Walker on Amazon directly – it may just have the answers you seek.
MORE: Best Fitness And Activity Trackers For Seniors
5. Vive Mobility Folding Walker
Rollators with tires are a relatively new invention. In times past, walkers were without casters and users simply had to make do with this reality.
It was fun – and everyone managed to use them with practically little or no complaints.
So loved were these walkers that most elderly users to date still prefer them; walkers or rollators that come without an option of casters, the old school way.
This preference is for many reasons:
- They are used to this design type.
- It feels safer than options with casters.
- It is relatively cheaper (than more sophisticated options).
- Because of less moving parts (or parts generally), ensures that this rollator type stays in service longer than options that are covered in features.
If this is you, nothing beats the Vive Mobility Folding Walker.
Designed in such a super easy manner that two simple buttons fold it up for storage, the Vive mobility folding walker is easy to fold away for storage after use.
So easy is it that an 80-year-old would be able to fold away and store their walker for future use without needing any assistance at all.
A standard carry bag that attaches to the walker itself furthers the appeal. The thinking here is that; why not important for many persons, a bag attachment can be a deal-breaker for seniors or the elderly who must have one handy.
To wrap up its appeal: there are optional casters that can be used, just in case users like you want to take a stroll and are curious how this rollator will perform with some casters on.
This versatility level, we maintain, is one of the very best that can be found in today’s market.
What Makes The Vive Mobility Folding Walker Stand Out?
- A simple design that is super practical and rare to find in today’s rollator market.
- Versatility when the need calls for it.
- Soft and super comfortable hand grips that make using the walker for hours on end easy.
- Lightweight and adjustable to varying heights and preferences.
- Push-button design for easy use and storage when the time comes.
The Vive Mobility Folding Walker can be found on Amazon directly.
There, you’ll also have the luxury of reading various reviews from other verified buyers who have trusted this walker type and brand and because of this decision, are now enjoying a higher quality of life than hitherto was the case.
The buying process can be a tasking and challenging one. It can also be hectic and super stressful – especially when one has to choose from many competing options that all seem good for the intended purpose.
Buying a narrow walker suitable for tight spaces as a senior is no exception.
However, in trying to help, we may have compounded the issue for you; we may have presented 5 options that all look good to the eye and thus, succeeded in only narrowing down your confusion 🙂
This is the challenge of rounding up the best options of any particular thing as in this case.
To simply things, here’s our final say – to help you and keep the records straight:
- If you travel a lot or commute on a frequent basis, you should pick up the Drive Medical Nitro Euro Style Rollator Walker – nothing beats it for the mobile lifestyle.
- If you’re a fan of minimalism or sincerely belief that less is more, the Able Life Space Saver Walker is what you need.
- If you’re a super active senior that still loves moving up and getting things done, Drive Medical Winnie Lite Supreme Aluminum Three Wheel Rollator is the best option for you.
- If you’re afraid of falls and need something that will assure you that you’ll be fine, no matter what, the Drive Medical Deluxe Two Button Folding Walker is what you need.
- Finally, if you love your gear traditional or have been using walkers for more than two decades, great chances are that you’ll sincerely appreciate the Vive Mobility Folding Walker.
This website is an active participant in the Amazon Affiliate Program. This means that, as an Amazon Associate, its webmaster(s) earn from qualifying purchases on Amazon.com (or any of its affiliated sites).