At least, 1 in every 3 Seniors and elderly persons has slipped and fallen in the bathroom (while attempting to shower) in the last 30 days (when not using a great shower mat).
According to the National Institute of Aging (NIA):
More than one in three seniors over age 65 fall each year, and the National Institute on Aging (NIA) says 80 percent of these falls are in the bathroom. Due to the multitude of unforgiving and slippery surfaces, bathrooms are very hazardous for the home.
Knowing how to get in and out of tubs and showers properly and equipping homes with necessary safety precautions can reduce senior falls, keep them out of the emergency room and possibly extend their life.
According to research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1.6 million older adults seek emergency care each year for fall-related injuries, fractures or head trauma. In addition to potentially losing their independence, seniors 65 years old and up have a 25 percent chance of dying within six months to a year if they fall and break a hip.
Seniors are vulnerable to falls for many reasons – eyesight and reflexes aren’t as razor-sharp as they used to be, not to mention the balance issues posed by diabetes, heart disease, thyroid conditions and various medications.
For younger persons however, this isn’t a challenge as all – and as a matter of fact, younger men and women actually detest the very idea of a bath or shower mat/rug.
However, when age sets in, a bath mat/rug is essential – if bathroom accidents are to be prevented when you desire to shower as a Senior.
If you’re an elderly person yourself (or have an elderly loved one), here are the top 5 best anti-slip shower mats/rugs that you can currently get at the moment to prevent slips in the shower.
Follow us down the page as we actively and passionately help you avoid that fall that will sooner or later occur in the tiled bathroom or bath if this special (and important) precaution is not taken.
Article at a Glance
- Best Non-Slip Shower Mats For Seniors & The Elderly
- 1. Vdomus Non-slip Microfiber Shag Bathroom Mat
- 2. Gorilla Grip Rectangle Non-Slip Machine Washable Bath Mat
- 3. Vive Square Non Slip Bath Mat With Drain Hole
- 4. Epica Anti-Slip Machine Washable Anti-Bacterial Bath Mat
- 5. FeschDesign Non Slip Bath Tub Mat
- What Is A Bath Or Shower Mat?
- Why Do Seniors And The Elderly Need A Non Slip Shower Rug?
- What To Look Out For When Buying A Bath Mat Or Rug For Seniors Or The Elderly
- Wrap Up
Best Non-Slip Shower Mats For Seniors & The Elderly
Carefully outlined and reviewed below are the best non-slip shower mats for Seniors and the elderly at the moment.
These mats have been used by Senior citizens and certified to be great – all round.
As an elderly person thus, be rest assured that you’re going to be getting the best guard against accidental bathroom slips when you purchase one.
If you’re buying the non-slip mat for a loved one (either friend or family), be assured also that the choices we have below will perform exactly in the manner that you desire – and expect them to.
Shall we take a look at the very first one?
1. Vdomus Non-slip Microfiber Shag Bathroom Mat
No one appreciates a bathroom mat that slips all over the floor of the bathroom: aside the fact that this is physically annoying, it is also one of the fastest ways to actually slip and fall while using an accessory that is supposed to protect you from the fall in the first place.
This is exactly what the Vdomus Non-slip Microfiber Shag Bathroom Mat addresses first and foremost.
The bath mat, when placed on the floor of the bathroom remains in the exact position where you placed it and intended it to be – a very welcome relief from the very many easy-sliding models commonly available both online and offline today.
This extra protection and forethought of this soft rug is made possible because of its special anti-skid backing – a reality that adds extra protection for elders and kids alike.
If you’re going to share your bathroom with your grandchildren, this is a special and welcome plus.
- Designed with special anti-skid backing that adds extra protection for elders and kids.
- Drys very quickly after use.
- Super soft shag. This feels exquisite and is as soft as can be. Further, the shag also ensures great absorbency for wet feet.
- Suitable for Seniors and children alike. This is a plus when the grand-kids are around 🙂
- Machine washable.
- Multi colors are available to fit personal taste or decor.
- Some users complained about the overall size of the rug – and argued that it was smaller than they expected.
- To wash the bath mat, you need to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully as negligence often spells doom.
Click here to take a look at the Vdomus Non-slip Microfiber Shag Bathroom Mat on Amazon.
2. Gorilla Grip Rectangle Non-Slip Machine Washable Bath Mat
Not all Seniors and elderly users appreciate a thick, shag inspired bath mat.
For most, a simple and completely clear non-slip option is what the’re looking for and will be completely content with.
If you’re a Senior or an elderly person that is in this category of consumers, the Gorilla Grip Rectangle Non-Slip Machine Washable Bath Mat is what you should take a serious and interested look at.
Aside the fact that the bath mat is clear – and neat even to the naked eye, it is also completely manufactured in an anti-bacterial manner.
This means that, as an elderly person or Senior citizen, you’ll definitely have to direct your energies elsewhere instead of bothering about the bacteria that are growing under or on your bath mat.
For most Seniors and elderly users however, what actually gets them hooked to this mat is the fact that it is designed in a manner that features small holes throughout to allow water to safely circulate.
With this type of design, not only are bacteria fought and defeated, mold and algae are also brilliantly kept at bay.
- Non-slip design that is guaranteed to firmly hold on any smooth surface.
- Large size (35” x 16”). This provides excellent coverage; something many other similarly looking bath mats clearly lack.
- Features holes throughout. This allows for free flow of water and brilliantly avoids the growth of mold and algae.
- Antibacterial and mildew resistant.
- BPA, Phthalate and latex free.
- Non-toxic with no toxic smell(s) whatsoever.
- 10 years, no questions asked money back guarantee.
- Completely machine washable.
- Plethora of colors to choose from to either meet personal taste/preference or interior decor.
- This bath mat is not suitable for tiled or textured surfaces.
- The mat does not also stick very well when used as a layer covering for the bottom of bath tubs.
If you’ll love to take a good look at the Gorilla Grip bath mat, do so on Amazon here.
3. Vive Square Non Slip Bath Mat With Drain Hole
The fact that a Senior or an elderly citizen has added some years overall through the decades does not mean he/she has lost a sense of style, especially when it comes to the selection of such things as bath mats.
If you’re an elderly user of a bath mat or are interested in buying a shower mat for a Senior citizen who still loves to have his/her things properly designed and in style, then the Vive Square Non Slip Bath Mat With Drain Hole is the perfect option for either you or such a Senior/elderly friend or relative.
This shower mat, as can be seen in the picture below, has been properly designed and equipped with a center drain hole that easily takes care of the extra water that usually finds itself on the surface of the mat after use.
In terms of practical use, the shower mat has further been equipped with large and functional suction cups that ensure a tight and foolproof grip – a feature that is important and cherished when the fact that Seniors and the elderly are going to be using the mat is factored into consideration.
Its large, textured surface helps stops slips and it’s antibacterial.
Further, its latex free nature is a pleasant addition that many Seniors, especially those who are allergic to latex, are particularly impressed with, upon use.
- Completely anti-slip/slip resistant – even when wet; thanks to the large, 116 suction cups that help hold the mat in place on virtually any surface.
- Antibacterial. The mat also resists mold and mildew growth.
- Large 22” by 22” textured surface that provides exceptional traction and stability while showering.
- Convenient 6″ center drainage hole to eliminate pooling water.
- Latex free (this is perfect for Seniors and elderly users who are allergic to latex).
- Super stylish finishing that makes this shower mat a beauty in the bathroom of a any Senior or elderly person.
- 60 day no questions asked money back guarantee.
- Elderly users with kids around the house complained that the mat stained quicker than they would have loved.
- Other Senior users who are used to much larger shower mats complained that they would have loved and appreciated a bigger option.
Want to read more about the Vive Square Non Slip Bath Mat With Drain Hole on Amazon? Click here to proceed.
4. Epica Anti-Slip Machine Washable Anti-Bacterial Bath Mat
Baths mats that are simple, made of rubber, easy to clean and importantly, anti-slip are very hard to come by especially when they also double as machine washable.
For Seniors and elderly users, these are the qualities that they often look out for when purchasing such things as a shower mat.
If you’re a Senior reader, you’ll completely agree with us.
Fortunately, the Epica Anti-Slip Machine Washable Anti-Bacterial Bath Mat posses all these special features and is available for cheap – when what it does is compared to the price it is sold for in the market.
When the fact that the mat is easy on the feet and as a matter of fact, comfortable is also factored into consideration, you’ve got yourself a shower mat that will awesomely serve you now and in the years to come.
Add up its anti bacterial properties and you’ve got yourself something that friends and family will be on your neck to divulge exactly where you got it from 🙂
- Perfect anti-slip reality with extra strong, non-slip suction.
- Machine washable.
- Anti bacteria and mildew resistant.
- Super sturdy construction that is guaranteed to last for many years to come.
- Very comfortable soft, natural rubber construction.
- Non-tolerant of soap build-up residues.
This bath mat has no cons whatsoever. If you’ll thus love to purchase it, kindly proceed and fire ahead right to Amazon and then, see things there for yourself .
5. FeschDesign Non Slip Bath Tub Mat
Our last recommendation for the smartest non-slip bath mats for Seniors and the elderly is the FeschDesign Non Slip Bath Tub Mat.
The reason for the inclusion of this shower mat in this list is the fact that, the mat is plain, simple and it does the job of preventing slips while using the bathroom for Seniors and elderly in a smart and efficient manner, thanks to its advanced suction that holds the mat to the floor firmly.
Aside its plainness and simplicity, the shower mat also has some amazing features that make Seniors and elderly users impressed and encouraged to try it on first sight.
We’ll mention these features immediately below under the pros section of the article.
- Anti-slip design with strong suction.
- Anti-bacteria and mildew resistant.
- Stylish design and very easy to clean.
- Non toxic and latex free.
- No bad odor…this is because, the mat is completely PVC free.
- Machine washable.
- This shower mat is not suitable for non-smooth surfaces such as a textured tub or tile surfaces.
- Some users who share their bathrooms with kids complained that the shower mat got dirty faster than they would have loved.
Click here to take a quick look at this shower mat on Amazon to decide if this is what you’ll love to have in your shower as a Senior citizen or an elderly person.
What Is A Bath Or Shower Mat?
A shower mat or or a bath rug is a bathroom accessory that is typically made of either shag, wool or rubber and aims to prevent slips in the shower, around the bathroom or to cushion the naked feet against either extreme heat or cold.
In some some cases, this mat or rug type is simply used because the user feels good when such an accessory is in the bathroom.
For some other users, they buy and place bath mats/rugs in their bathrooms to complement the interior decor of the bathroom and overall, make the environment more ‘usable’ and ‘hospitable’.
However, for elderly users and Seniors generally, the prime reason for buying and using a bath mat is to prevent slips that are all too common to that age bracket.
To achieve this aim, the bath mat is either placed directly where the user steps upon getting out of the tub, right in the tub or anywhere else the naked feet is bound to touch in the bathroom when showering.
If you’re an elderly reader (or one who is over 40 years), you’ll understand what this means as you’re likely to have slipped in the bathroom yourself in the recent past.
Why Do Seniors And The Elderly Need A Non Slip Shower Rug?
Ordinarily, a simple shower rug or mat should be enough for you as a Senior or elderly person, right?
Why? You may ask.
The answer is quite simple and straightforward.
Not all shower mats are equipped with the needed suction (cups) to stay in one place (when wet) and importantly, are designed in an anti-slip manner to prevent you from sliding and falling when you’re taking your bath or are about exiting the toilet right after.
If you’re a Senior who has balance issues and would love to be free from a nasty slip in the bathroom when you proceed to shower – or desire to leave the bathroom, an anti-sleep rug is not only important, it is utmostly necessary and an important accessory in your bathroom.
What To Look Out For When Buying A Bath Mat Or Rug For Seniors Or The Elderly
If you’re selecting any of the above listed 5 non-slip bath mats or rugs, this section may not apply to you.
This is because, we’ve taken the pains already to ensure that all the models/brands listed above comply with all the provisions of this section.
Accordingly, you’re thus covered.
However, in the extremely rare event that you’re not very pleased with all the 5 models/brands we suggested above, this section and the details it has to offer will guide you as you make your preferred choice.
Shall we fire?
1. Anti-Slip Reality
This is the number one quality you should look out for in a bath mat or rug as an elderly user when you’re shopping.
It is also a very important feature to insist on when you’re buying the bath mat for a Senior user or an elderly person who is likely to have balance or stability issues.
The quickest way to detect mats that have this feature is:
- The presence of strong and many suction cups underneath the mat or rug and
- A patterned design that obstructs the otherwise smooth nature of the mat top.
When you get the above right, you’re already on the way of getting one of the best anti-slip bath mats or rugs of all time.
You have also, directly, stopped the next fall you would have otherwise experienced in the bath or tub in the nearest future.
However, if you’re not very sure about going about this, simply pick any of the 5 models above or take a good look at the reviews of other customers who have already purchased and used the model/brand of the mat you’re interested in on a marketplace like Amazon.
2. Easy To Clean Reality
The last thing that a Senior would want to spend precious time on is cleaning.
However, since cleaning is a reality that cannot be completely escaped, the next best thing is to ensure that all the things that a Senior or an elderly person needs to clean are actually easy to clean.
If you’re a Senior or aged reader of ours, our guess is that you’ll completely agree with us 🙂
Now, when it comes to buying the smartest bath mat or rug, this thinking must also come to play and you need to consciously ask this question: will this bath mat or rug be easy to clean when I buy it?
If the answer is in the positive, the mat or rug is worth considering further.
If the reply is in the negative however, the idea of purchasing such a piece should be dropped as soon as possible.
Please, note that, easy to clean here refers both to the models/brands that can be machine washed and those that are actually meant to be hand-washed.
The keyword, remember, is easy.
3. Comfortable Texture
The sensitivity of various Seniors and elderly persons vary. However, if you’re a highly sensitive person, it is smart to ensure that your bath mat has a comfortable texture that is likely not to tickle you when in use.
For this to be possible, you’ll have to be certain that the mat or rug is hard enough to last for an appreciable time and be able to perform the function you bought it for but at the same time, the same mat is soft enough to be comfortable to your bare feet.
This is a delicate balance that you must strive to strike, whether you’re buying the mat/rug for yourself or are buying for an aged friend or family member.
4. Anti-Bacterial Reality
Bacteria are everywhere we live today, even right in our mouths and stomachs!
However, when they become too much (or the harmful variants take over), things can get messy and disease is not far such a scenario (when they do).
This is why, it is important to ensure that bath mats and rugs are treated with anti-bacteria solutions before sale so that, while in the bathroom, they will not amass unnecessary harmful bacteria.
However, it is also important to note that this feature can be ignored – especially if you’re certain of your own cleanliness and your ability to keep your own rug or mat clean all the time, after every use.
5. Ability To Dry Fast
The prime essence of a bath rug, in the first place, is to prevent slips while in the bathroom.
To perform this all important function, it is important that the mat is able to dry off as soon as possible – as a mat that is perpetually wet is good just for one thing: NOTHING.
When you’re thus considering your bath mat or rug, kindly ensure that you pick on a model that will dry as soon as you leave the bathroom.
This will not be a challenge with rubber inspired models as they do not retain water in them as pe their construction.
However, if you prefer the more comfortable and elaborate shag inspired models/brands, this should be what you should actively watch out for.
Now, it’s time to round up 🙂
As an elderly person, falls – especially bathroom inspired ones are to be prevented as much as possible.
The reasons for this are as many as they are varied.
- You may get injured and bleed – a reality which may require (urgent) medical attention.
- A fall in the bathroom may actually injure your head, affect your memory or break a bone in your body. All these, trust us, are things you’d rather not experience in old age.
- Finally, you may not be so lucky and may lose your life – if the fall is challenging enough and if your body is not physically strong to cope with such a fall.
To prevent any of the three ugly scenarios above, we have taken time today to present to you the best non slip bath mats for Seniors and the elderly.
It is our fervent hope that you actually check these mats/rugs and pick up the one that best suits your needs and reality (according to its specs, pros and cons).
If, on the rare occasion that you do not find any of the models featured here useful, kindly revert to the buyers’ guide and general tips shared above to pick out the model of your choice.
Happy shopping and remember to stay away from falls in the bathroom.