If you’ve ever wondered if there are cellphones for Seniors (or the elderly) and desire to get one for yourself or a loved one, you’re on the right page.
On this page today, we’re going to review the best cell phones for Seniors that guarantee ease of use.
In order words, today’s business is the review of easy to use mobile phones that are ideal for Seniors and the elderly.
4 Best Cellphones for Seniors
Here are the best (feature) cellphones for Seniors:
- Snapfon ezTWO Senior Unlocked GSM Cellphone (take a look here).
- Jittterbug Flip Easy-to-use Cellphone for Seniors (take a look here).
- Alcatel Big Easy Plus (take a look here).
- Jethro SC628 3G Unlocked Senior Cellphone (take a look here).
This is a smart summary of the very best 4 feature cellphones for Seniors available today (online and offline). Let’s now take a look at the top 5 best smartphones suitable for the aged and elderly.
5 Best Smartphones for Seniors
Here are the best smartphones for Seniors:
- GreatCall Samsung Jitterbug Touch 3 (take a look here).
- GreatCall Jitterbug Smartphone for Seniors (take a look here).
- Apple iPhone 7Plus (take a look here).
- Google Pixel XL (take a look here).
- Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (take a look here).
Having taken a look at the top 9 mobile phones super ideal for the Senior population, let’s now take a detail and thorough review of these phones.
In the individual reviews below, we’ll x-ray the phones and show you, our dear reader, in black and white what makes the phone super suitable for those who age has chosen to so graciously befriend 🙂
Here we go.
Best Feature Phones for the Elderly: Our Top 4 Picks
Detailed below are our top 4 feature phones perfect for Seniors and the elderly. Read carefully to the end and pick the phone that catches your fancy 🙂
Or, pick the one you’re dead sure will suit the reality of the Senior citizen you’re buying the phone for.
1. The Snapfon ezTWO Senior Unlocked GSM Cellphone
Very few cellphones currently available today are as ‘Senior friendly’ as the Snapfon ezTWO Senior Unlocked SMS Cellphone.
Powered with large, ultra visible buttons and a speaking keypad for the aged who are visually impaired or have challenges reading its (large) prints, this is the number 1 large button cellphone made exclusively with the elderly in mind.
If you’re thus a Senior who loves cellphones simple and straight to the point, you’ll particularly appreciate this extra-ordinarily simple feature phone especially when features like its keypad lock, an SOS function and its quad frequency range/ability are factored and carefully considered.
Features & Specs of the Snapfon exTWO
- Super bright LED flashlight for emergencies.
- 1000mAh lithium-ion battery.
- Speaking keypads for Seniors who have challenges with their eyesight.
- Big buttons for easy and stress-free dialing and general use.
- Quad GSM frequencies that make the phone capable of being used anywhere in the world.
- Emergency SOS button to reach help in times of an emergency.
- Minimum talk time of 3 hours.
- Minimum standby time of 90 hours.
- The phone is a loud ringer – minimizing challenges of missed calls common with the elderly.
Why the Snapfon exTWO is a Great Phone for the Elderly
- One of the major challenges of Seniors is eyesight failure – this phone handles that brilliantly with its talking keypad.
- The SOS button of this Snapfon can be programmed to save the contact details of 5 persons – to be used during emergencies. This is something that cannot be ignored especially when it is understood that safety comes first, especially for Seniors.
- The super bright LED powered flashlight of this cellphone comes in handy when a source of light is needed, especially at night when no other light source is proximate.
- The loud ringing function of the phone is perfect for Seniors as it minimizes incidences of avoidable missed calls.
- The phone is damn easy to use…no Senior has yet complained that he/she could not operate this cellphone.
Interested in the Snapfon exTWO? Click here to check it out on Amazon.com.
2. Jittterbug Flip Easy-to-use Cellphone for Seniors
No one can deny the simplicity and stark ease of use of a traditional flip feature cellphone.
The only challenge is that, they are very rare today and as a matter of fact, many companies have stopped producing them.
The Jitterbug Flip Easy-to-use Cellphone for Seniors however remains an exception: it is still being manufactured to date and for the stylish and sophisticated elderly user, remains one of the smartest options available in the market today – especially within the flip and ‘stylish’ segments.
However, the value of this cellphone far transcends its visual appeal and outright stylishness.
The cellphone features large legible numbers and impressively big buttons that make the dialing process extra simple and effortless – even for a 95-year-old!
What is more?
The many features of the cellphone are deliberately configured in such a manner that ensures ease of use and makes the act of using a cellphone ridiculously simple even for those who sincerely believe that it is one of the most tasking thing on the surface of the earth at the moment 🙂
Features & Specs of the Jittterbug Flip
- 1780mAh lithium-ion battery.
- 1GB built-in storage.
- Large legible numbers that make reading on the screen of the cellphone a breeze.
- The big buttons on the phone makes dialing and daily use practically effortless.
- Powerful and (pretty) loud speakers that ensure that conversations are heard crystal clear.
- ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ buttons make navigation of the phone very easy and convenient.
- A dedicated ‘5Star’ button that automatically connects users to trained professionals when dialed in the instance of an emergency.
- No contracts and no cancellation fees.
- 100% US-based customer care service.
- Hearing aid compatible.
- Simple to use camera.
Why the Jittterbug Flip is a Great Phone for the Elderly
- This phone has no internet connection. This means, less distraction and importantly, less ‘complication’ for the Senior user to worry about.
- The Jitterbug Flip has a camera that is simple to use. Elderly users who desire to take pictures can easily do so without any challenges.
- Hearing aid compatibility means that using this large button mobile phone with hearing aids will not present any challenges.
- The phone has a clear, crisp, high quality speaker. This means that Senior users will have no challenges listening to the voice of loved ones who call them.
- A dedicated US customer service team means that, Senior users of this phone will have little to no challenges getting help when they actually need it.
Interested in taking a further (detailed) look at the Jitterbug Flip on Amazon.com? Do so by clicking right here.
3. Alcatel Big Easy Plus
Not all Senior Citizens appreciate the swag of the Jitterbug Flip above; for some elderly cellphone users, nothing beats the practicality and ease of use of a simple, ‘straight-forward’ phone.
Enter the Alcatel Big Easy Plus.
Powered and masterfully engineered with large keys which are brilliantly lighted to ensure that the aged user does not miss any button or keystroke – even in pitch darkness, it is difficult to see any elderly user fumbling with the cell phone in order to either make or receive a call.
Its overall, handy size – that is coupled with a crystal clear colored display screen further ensures that the phone does not task the eyes of the users, neither does it strain it in any fashion.
Typically, aged users of this phone simply zap it out of their pocket and initiate a call, end the call and return it back to their pockets without fumbling around with it or worse, calling for assistance 🙂
Features & Specs of the Alcatel Big Easy Plus
- 1000mAh lithium-ion battery.
- FM radio – to keep grandpa/grandma busy during the long, lonely days.
- Dedicated ‘My Phone Number’ button that reproduces the phone number of the user with one click. With the failing memory of Seniors and the elderly, this is a special feature that is very important and apt.
- Practical design that is easy to hold in the hands, put in any of the pockets or store away without any challenges.
- Large lighted keys that ensure that elderly users have no challenges using the phone even when the area where the phone is to be used is poorly lighted.
- Built-in flashlight that ensures easy navigation during nightfall.
- 3G service coverage that ensures that services reliant on the network are deployed without any challenges and with the utmost ease.
- A hands-free speaker for enhanced hearing options.
- Bluetooth wireless 2.1 connectivity.
- 2MP camera for sharp, crisp photos that ensure memories are not lost.
- Hearing aid compatibility.
- Internet access for the smart Seniors who are interested in running a search or two right on Google 🙂
Why the Alcatel Big Easy Plus is a Great Phone for the Elderly
- The ‘My Phone Number’ button on the phone is a smart – and extremely handy, thoughtful and helpful option. This caters for the forgetfulness of elderly users and ensures that they are always able to retrieve their phone numbers.
- Seniors, most often, have challenges with their sight. Unfortunately, many Seniors also have poor memories. This means that they easily forget where they have put their flashlights! In such an instance, the built-in flashlight of this phone is both a handy and indispensable feature that will make elderly users more than happy 🙂
- The hearing aid compatibility (HAC) of the Alcatel Big Easy Plus is also a special feature worth mentioning. With this awesome and super impressive feature, users are sure that their hearing devices (if they use them) won’t be affected by the phone.
- Finally, the hands free speaker of the Big Easy Plus is really a big plus 🙂 Elderly users can deploy a phone that serves them in an awesome manner and is capable of assisting with the call process in an impressively loud manner.
Click here to read more about the Alcatel Big Easy Plus right on Amazon.com.
4. Jethro SC628 3G Unlocked Senior Cellphone
The Jethro SC628 3G Unlocked Senior Cellphone has been dubbed the best beginner’s unlocked senior cell phone available in the market today by its manufacturer.
The manufacturer also adds that, the phone does not however compromise in comfort and function.
Looking at its classic & stylish design, large keypad, SOS emergency button and optional handy charging dock, we agree: this phone certainly deserves a spot as one of the perfect mobile communication solution for Seniors and the elderly.
Features & Specs of the Jethro SC628 3G Unlocked Senior Cellphone
- Optional desktop charging cradle available to ensure easy charging access for Seniors and the elderly. This is a VERY important accessory for the elderly.
- Stronger signal and wider cellular coverage than most cellphones available in the market today.
- Dedicated SOS button for emergencies.
- Hearing Aid Compatible.
- Dedicated and crystal clear camera.
- SMS/MMS function that brilliantly sends and receives both services.
- 2 dedicated speed dial buttons to cater for the most dialed phone numbers or any special numbers a Senior citizen user desires.
Why the Jethro SC628 3G Unlocked Senior Cellphone is a Great Phone for the Elderly
- The Jethro SC628 3G Unlocked Senior Cellphone has two dedicated speed-dial buttons: M1 and M2. These dedicated buttons make the process of calling numbers the elderly user frequently calls an easy breeze.
- The stronger signal and wider cellular coverage ensures clear, crisp calls and importantly, facilitates zero dropped calls. For the elderly, this is an option that cannot be relegated to the background or compromised.
- Right at the back of this phone is a 911 dedicated SOS button that is programmed to ‘dial out for help’ once the Senior user holds unto the button for a few seconds. For those who need to be monitored or require the special help emergency teams provide round the clock, this feature is one of the phone’s greatest selling points!
- The optional desktop charger of the Jethro SC628 seals the deal here. Seniors can simply place the phone in its cradle, right on their desks and it will charge, eliminating the need to bend down and struggle with a cord, an extension or worse, a live socket!
Did the Jethro SC628 3G Unlocked Senior Cellphone catch your fancy? Click here to find out more on Amazon.com.
This phone marks the end of our review of the best feature phones available for Seniors and the elderly today.
In the next section, we’re going to take a long and detailed look at the various smartphones that we sincerely believe the elderly will genuinely enjoy using and find damn practical.
The smartphones are 5 in number.
Best Smartphones for Seniors: Our Top 5 Picks
Unfortunately, not every Senior citizen/elderly person appreciates a simple feature phone 🙂
Sometimes however, this decision is not inspired by the elderly ones directly: their loved ones (children, friends or grandchildren) insist that they use a smartphone.
If this is the case, there are many smartphones today that are suited for the aged. However, we have taken out time to review only the 5 very best.
Here, our top 5 smartphones for Seniors.
1. GreatCall Samsung Jitterbug Touch 3
Many Seniors and elderly persons who decide that they’re officially done with feature phones and wish to upgrade to smartphones have a huge challenge: they encounter a steep learning curve that usually, leads to frustration and complete abandonment of the idea.
This is where the GreatCall Samsung Jitterbug Touch 3 comes right in.
Engineered with a 4.0 inch multi-touchscreen running on Android v4.3 (Jelly Bean), an impressive 5MP rear camera and another front facing camera, this smartphone, while being chic and smart enough to handle the day to day tasks of a regular smartphone, is simple enough to be operated with ease, even by an elderly user – or one’s great grandparents.
Features & Specs of the GreatCall Samsung Jitterbug Touch 3
- Easy to navigate.
- Hearing Aid Compatible (HAC).
- 4.0-inch Capacitive Multi-Touchscreen.
- Android v4.3 (Jelly Bean).
- 5 Megapixel Camera (2592 x 1944 pixels) w/ Autofocus, LED flash + Front-facing VGA Camera.
- Dual-Core 1.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon.
- Internal Memory: 8GB storage, 1GB RAM + microSD Slot Expandable up to 64GB.
- Lithium-ion battery.
Why the GreatCall Samsung Jitterbug Touch 3 is a Great Phone for Seniors
- The GreatCall Samsung Jitterbug Touch 3 comes with an Urgent Care Package. This additional service to the phone’s long list of services ensures that users get instant access, 24/7 to registered nurses and board-certified doctors who can give advice, make diagnoses or even prescribe medications over the phone.
- 5 Star Urgent Response Button is also one of the phone’s impressive feature. This button connects Senior users to NAED-Certified Medical Alert Agents who are trained to provide help in a variety of situations; whether it’s an accident or an emergency. All that the Senior needs to do is depress the 5 Star button once.
- Handset replacement is also one of the numerous advantages of Seniors who own this phone. If your Touch is ever lost, stolen or broken, the company expressly promises that they’ll replace it 🙂
- Touch 3 is also engineered with a full keyboard. This keyboard makes it super easy to use the phone in a manner a conventional computer is used.
- For Seniors or the elderly who use hearing aids, the Touch 3 is completely hearing aid compatible. This means that, they can easily deploy the use of their phones irrespective of the hearing gadgets they use – and no obstruction/interference will occur.
- Finally, the phone is super easy to navigate. Samsung has made sure of this by insisting on a vertical rendering of icons as well as the insistence that all icons be very bold. This clever combination facilitates use even without the assistance of reading glasses.
The features of the Touch 3 are clearly irresistible. It is also, in most cases, the smartphone of choice for Seniors and the elderly.
If you desire to buy one for either yourself or your elderly loved one, kindly click here (the link opens to Amazon.com directly).
2. GreatCall Jitterbug Smartphone for Seniors
If you loved the impressively large screen and other awesome features of the Touch 3 above, you’re in for something sweeter and even more impressive: you’ll love the GreatCall Jitterbug Smartphone for Seniors even better.
Powered with a 5.5″ screen – and adorned with practical features, specially meant for the aged, this phone is not dubbed a cellphone for ‘Seniors’ for nothing. It has been painstakingly engineered to fit that description.
From the impressively large touchscreen to the simple menu right to the powerful speakers, hearing aid compatibility and most importantly, the voice typing function, it is crystal clear on first use that, you’re holding a nice cellphone that is specifically meant for the parents, grandparents or great-grandparent – whichever the case may be.
Features & Specs of the GreatCall Jitterbug Smartphone for Seniors
- Size (LWH): 6.6 inches, 2.4 inches, 10.1 inches
- Weight: 6.08 ounces
- Battery Type: Lithium Ion
- 5.5” touchscreen.
- A simple menu organized in a single list with large icons.
- No contracts and no cancellation fees.
- 100% U.S.-based customer service and support.
- Hearing Aid Compatibility (HAC).
- Powerful speakers.
- Voice typing feature.
Why the GreatCall Jitterbug Smartphone for Seniors is a Great Phone for the Elderly
- A large 5.5” touchscreen that makes it pretty easy to read what’s on the screen – even without reading glasses.
- An impressive 5.0 megapixel camera that has easy-to-use photo sharing protocols and renders photos very clear and bright.
- A simple menu organized in a single list with large icons that makes it very easy to navigate.
- No contracts and no cancellation fees.
- Dependable nationwide coverage.
- Affordable plans with data as low as $17.48 a month.
- Award-winning, 100% U.S.-based customer service and support.
- Ability to turn the phone into a personal safety device with exclusive health and safety apps.
To take a first hand look at the GreatCall Jitterbug Smartphone for Seniors, proceed here.
3. Apple iPhone 7 Plus
Apple makes awesome products; products that are so awesome and functional that you cannot help but fall in love with both their design and various functions.
However, after looking – and using the iPad and the iPod, it is excusable to believe that the company does not make devices/gadgets suitable for the older population.
If this is your assumption, you’re completely wrong 🙂
With an impressive 5.5″ LCD screen, this splash, water and dust-proof smart phone is the ideal cell phone for the grandmother – or the Senior citizen who still wishes to go the tech way: old, firm, plush and reliable.
However, you need not take our word for it: take a look at the Apple iPhone 7 Plus yourself.
Features & Specs of the Apple iPhone 7 Plus
- 5.5″ LCD display screen.
- 12MP primary camera.
- 3GB RAM.
- 2900mAh lithium ion battery.
- 7MP secondary camera.
- Water resistant.
- Dust resistant.
- Splash resistant.
Why the Apple iPhone 7 Plus is an Awesome Smart Phone for the Elderly
- The elderly are bound to let their smart phones slip and fall more easily – compared to younger men and women. Sometimes too, the phone may fall in water. The iPhone makes sure that in such an instance, you actually still have a cellphone when you pick out your device as a Senior.
- Second, the iPhone 7 Plus is dust resistant. This means that, no matter where grandma – or grandpa forgets the phone for weeks, it will still be great – and actually work (even if home happens to be the harmattan season at the edge of the Sahara desert).
- The 5.5″ display is pretty cool – and will certainly ensure that Seniors get to use their iPhone without actually bothering with their glasses.
- Fourth, the 12MP primary camera will ensure better picture quality for the elderly and Seniors. Remember, the older you get, the poorer your sight…the poorer your sight, the more you’ll need to rely on better pictures – if they’re going to make any sense at all.
- Finally, the 2900mAh lithium-ion battery is impressive and furnishes an impressive talk time and standby time. For Seniors who are not in love with charging their smartphones, this one is truly golden.
This is what this awesome piece of the ‘Steve Jobs brand’ has for the elderly and Seniors today. If you’ll love to take a peep at this practical piece of genius, tech and practicality, do so here.
4. Google Pixel XL
Google is no doubt a giant that you simply need to take seriously.
The search giant, after dominating search – and making it way better for all of us, has now delved right into other interesting tech such as the Google Pixel XL.
The exciting thing about this gadget is that, coming from the stables of a company that conducts about 3.5 billion searches everyday (with a healthy number relating to Seniors, their needs and what they really appreciate in a smartphone), it takes care of the intricacies and details that other brands miss.
It is thus reasonably wise to conclude that the XL lives up to its expectation as a legendary smartphone that is well suited to the needs of its target audience.
A quick look at the smart features of this cellphone will not disappoint you – or any elderly user who’s interested in getting the best out of tech – the grey hairs notwithstanding.
The XL is the first smartphone to run Google Assistant – a smart AI protocol that takes commands, answers questions, helps you find answers on the go, ensures you get help around the house and achieves a lot of other useful things…
…things Seniors and the elderly always need help with.
Features & Specs of the Google Pixel XL
- Built in Google Assistant (it’s the very first smartphone to run the feature – as a built-in application).
- 12.3MP primary camera.
- 8MP secondary camera.
- 5.5″ AMOLED display.
- Enhanced Gorilla glass (used to ensure durability, even in cases of accidents).
- Clear, crystal bright photos.
- Splash resistant.
- Dust resistant.
- Super fast charging.
- 3450mAh non removable lithium ion battery.
Why the Google Pixel XL is a Perfect fit for the Elderly
- The built-in Google Assistant is an impressive aid for Seniors who are not used to the raw power smartphones have. For (such) first time elderly users, they will certainly experience a shorter learning curve.
- The fast charging. Everyone knows that elderly people really hate the phone charging process. With an XL, only 5 minutes charge will ensure an impressive 7 hours of use!
- Better still, the monster 3,450 mAh battery will last for weeks on standby – ensuring that the elderly phone user always has some battery juice to go with.
- The 12.3MP camera ensures super bright photos that make using the camera and sorting out photos so much easier for eyes that are weak from age.
- Finally, the Google XL smartphone is both splash and dust proof. For these awesome and important features, Seniors will particularly go out of their way to fall in love 🙂
The Google XL is a brilliant smartphone that will sure impress and serve any elderly person who’s interested in a smartphone that also doubles as a personal assistant.
If you’re interested in this smartphone, kindly check it out by clicking here.
5. Samsung Galaxy Note 5
Everyone knows that Samsung is one of the industry leaders when it comes to Plasma TVs.
However, plasmas are not all what the engineers at Samsung specialize in: they also make awesome cell phones which the Galaxy Note 5 happens to be right amongst.
Carefully engineered by professionals who know what they’re doing in-and out, this carefully thought out smartphone is the last on our list.
It is the last not because it is bad – or the worst but simply because it is one of the very best and all the other cellphones cannot be listed on a single page, with the same numbering 🙂
With super easy to use features and an array of exciting technology to prop up interest even in the most technologically-reluctant Senior, the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is certainly an option that is worth considering for the grandfather.
Or, the aged generally.
Features & Specs of the Samsung Galaxy Note 5
- 5.7″ Super AMOLED LCD display screen.
- 4GB RAM.
- 16MP Camera.
- 3000mAh lithium-polymer battery.
- Standard stylus pen compatible.
- 5MP secondary camera.
- Up to 22h talk time with 3G.
- Fingerprint scanner (front mounted).
- Accelerometer sensor.
- Gyro sensor.
- Proximity sensor.
- Hear-rate sensor.
Why the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is Perfect for Seniors
- The 3000mAh lithium polymer battery of the Samsung Galaxy smartphone supports up to an impressive 22 hours of raw talk time. This is more than what the average Senior needs!
- The heart rate sensor of the phone is a practical feature, especially given that heart challenges remain one of the practical challenges Seniors and the elderly face in the society today.
- The 5.7″ Super AMOLED LCD display screen is practical as it renders super bright display for users who have challenges with their eyesight – even without the use of glasses. This feature is what will really serve Seniors and the elderly in the most practical of fashions.
- The 4GB RAM of the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 makes the phone amazingly fast. With a short attention span, Seniors can easily get the best done quickly and dusted.
- Finally, the 16MP camera is super clear and will not present any challenges to the elderly users.
So far, we have not been privileged to meet anyone (Senior, elderly or any younger person) who has regretted buying the Note 5.
Why not click here to take a look yourself?
Why Do Senior Citizens Need Special/Dedicated Cellphones?
In a previous article that we published right here on this site, we asked a similar question.
In that article, we tried to look at why Seniors need a special bathtub.
Yet still, we had to revisit the question again on the best fitness trackers for Seniors and the elderly article.
In both articles, we agreed that Seniors do not necessarily need custom made devices/gadgets that are expressly spelled as being ‘Senior friendly’.
However, the unwritten rule is that, at a certain age, it is best for one to use devices/gadgets that are friendly to one’s own age.
This is the same case here with cellphones.
So, in a nutshell, here are the points that make it important for the elderly population to have cellphones that are friendly to their own age bracket.
A. Poor Eyesight
Everyone knows that with age, comes poor eyesight.
As a matter of fact, one is considered extremely lucky if after the age of 60, he/she does not require the use of glasses to read, especially tiny prints/rendering.
Unfortunately, most phones available in the market today do not take this into special consideration in their manufacture.
This means that, if no special niche of phone exist, the aged will be left without an easy and convenient means of mobile communication.
It is for this reason that the phones that are tagged ‘Senior’ friendly today have large rendering (or the ability to enlarge their text) so that elderly users can use and access them without any express challenges.
Poor/failing eyesight is then the number one reason why Seniors and the elderly need dedicated cellphones in order to carry on with their lives in a normal fashion.
B. Express Help In Case of an Emergency
Admit it or not, as the years go by, express help in case of an emergency increases for Seniors with each passing year.
This means that, the elderly and their loved ones/relations sleep better at night knowing that should the need arise, help is only a button away.
For most phones that serve the elderly niche, this feature often some in a dedicated button form.
For others, it is in the form of dedicated and highly trained medical personnel that can proffer help during an emergency.
Yet still for others, it is the dedicated speed dial buttons that can handsomely accommodate more than one number without any challenges.
The (extra) need for safety, is thus the very second reason why Seniors/the elderly need dedicated cellphones.
C. Memory Challenges
As one grows older, the memory steadily declines and eventually, even the simple act of remembering cellphone numbers and names can be a most excruciating challenge.
This is where the need for special cellphones that are conscious of this fact comes in.
For example, the Alcatel Big Easy Plus sports an impressive my phone number button.
This dedicated button produces the cellphone number of the user of the mobile phone once it is depressed, saving older phone users the embarrassment of constantly wondering what their phone number is.
Or, persistently repeating that they have once again forgotten it 🙂
The human memory is quite a complex and frail thing; if it is not mastered with alternatives at a certain age, it can sadly prove to become the master of the human responsible for it.
D. Slow Adaptation to Technology of Seniors
Seniors and the elderly famously have trouble with technology.
Often, it is grandpa that simply wouldn’t allow himself to learn how to text.
Or, its grandma who still wonders how the world of Google or Facebook works.
Or, its your elderly parents, siblings or friends who simple can’t master some simple tasks online; tasks that you mastered without even thinking about.
Now, to make it easier for the aged, dedicated cellphones that are conscious of these challenges Seniors experience and have gone ahead to make provisions for them in their design and rendering nicely fill up the niche.
Phones that can take a dictation and send as an email – or simple text, a simplified app that makes Facebook a breeze or of recent, Google Assistant.
This, then, is the fourth reason Seniors need a dedicated cellphone of their own, manufactured with their unique limitations in mind.
E. Smart Features that Seniors Really Need
The last reason that Seniors and the elderly population need cellphones that are understanding of their various and unique needs is the fact that without some smart features, this niche of users find cellphones quite challenging.
For instance, such features as (extra) durability, loud ringing options, better speakers, longer talk-time, smart charging options and overall, longer stand-by time make mobile phones more ‘Senior friendly’.
It is to be noted and understood that, phones that are configured with the consciousness of the above features do not only endear themselves to elderly users: they also make this category of cellphone users actively excited about their new piece of tech 🙂
What to Look Out for When Shopping for Mobile Phones for the Elderly
When shopping for mobile phones for the elderly, it is instructive to take note of some very important features that will make the said mobile phone friendly to the Senior user in the firs place.
To make this very important process easier for you, here’s a checklist:
I. Impressive Battery Life
It’s well know that elderly people dislike the phone charging process with a passion that is rare.
Usually, they let their batteries run down for weeks and then begin to wonder why they haven’t received a call throughout the entire week 🙂
To tackle this, simply ensure that you avoid phone models that need charging daily.
Or worse, models that would need to be recharged twice a day with heavy usage.
The good thing? All the models reviewed above here are excellent battery wise and will not present any challenges, power wise for Seniors.
The really good news?
Some models like the iPhone 7 Plus can standby for a whole week (or more) and with heavy use, last for just under a week.
The impressive battery of a cellphone should thus be the very first deciding factor for investing money in a mobile phone that is to be used for an aged person.
II. Large Display Screen
This does not mean that, they cannot use cellphones.
However, for them to use mobile phones with less challenges, such phones need to have large display screens in order to render the characters and pictures clearly.
For smartphones, such a size needs to be as least 5inches.
For feature phones, it is instructive to understand that, the display needs to be large enough to render the characters on the screen in a manner that the aged users will not be required to strain their eyes before getting the details on the display screen.
Further, it is also important to note that phones that are ideal for the aged need to have features that can adjust the character or image rendering – despite the prevailing large screen.
III. Larger (Than Usual) Character Rendering
A cellphone with a large display screen but small character rendering is of no practical use to Seniors or the elderly.
Accordingly, if you really want to ensure that you enjoy your cellphone as a Senior citizen or want the aged user that you’re buying it for to really find it useful, also ensure that the phone renders its characters in a pretty large manner.
A very pretty and smart example of such a phone is the Alcatel Big Easy Plus.
However, it is very important that we remind you that, all the phones featured here render their characters in an impressive manner – or can be made to do so.
The choices, as usual, are truly limitless.
And the options? Abundant.
IV. Loud Ringer
Some phones are pretty useless in this department.
We say they are ‘useless’ because, you can have them on your person and still miss a call because they are not loud ringers.
For Seniors or the elderly, such phones should be avoided like the plaque.
Any cellphone that is to be used by an aged user should be capable of ringing loudly and clearly…to reduce the incidences of missed call.
This is the very fourth point.
If a mobile phone does not ring in a loud fashion, it is largely useless for the aged generation it seeks to serve.
V. Emergency/Safety Features
As you or your loved ones age, safety becomes a primary – and very valid concern.
This means that, a simple trip to the bathroom poses a potential accident and even the process of walking becomes tricky.
With these increased challenges, one thing makes itself notorious and practically begs for attention: cellphones that have emergency and safety measured engineered right into them.
For the Jitterbug Flip Easy to Use Cellphone for Seniors, this is brilliantly taken care of with the deployment of a ‘5Star’ button that instantly connects the user with trained professionals in the even of an emergency with a single press.
For other models, it is the deployment of more than one speed dial buttons or some other inherent safety measure that is engineered right into them.
Whatever this safety measure is, kindly ensure that it is actually there before you invest in a cellphone for yourself as an elderly user or for someone who is advanced in age.
VI. Large, Distinct Keypads
Finally, it is very important to note that, a mobile phone that is due to be used by a Senior citizen should have a large and distinct keypad irrespective of the fact that it is a feature phone or a smartphone.
A cellphone with a large and distinct keypad will ensure that elderly users don’t wind up depressing another button when infact, they meant a close option.
Aside the challenge stated above, a mobile phone with a large and distinct keypad will inspire a certain level of confidence in the elderly user that is rare with other complex pieces of tech the aged come across on daily basis.
Let’s now take a look at something else: between a feature phone and its smart cousin, which is a better option for a Senior user?
Feature or Smart Phones: Which are Best for the Elderly Population?
This is a very interesting question – and often, attracts diverse and varied answers.
There are some elderly persons and their loved ones who will never bother eye-to-eye with a smartphone.
Their primary reason is quite interesting: such phones can only cause frustration and ensure acute pain in the life of the elderly user(s).
To a large extent, this reason is valid and on-point: most often, smartphones are a pain in the neck.
The other extreme view is to the effect that Seniors are like anyone else and with proper guidance and direction, can easily learn to use any piece of technology, including smartphones.
However, there is yet a third opinion on this: a sort of middle ground.
This position argues that the decision to either use a smart or feature phone is dependent on the particular individual in question.
This means that, there is no hard and fast rule: what is important here is the circumstances at hand and importantly, the tastes and capability of the (Senior) individual in question.
This position is also the one we favor in the present article.
To help you make this all-important decision, here’s a quick reference to instances where you’ll need either a simple feature cellphone or a more capable smartphone either for yourself or another elderly person.
Instances Where a Feature Phone is Best for Seniors
- Seniors who are not computer literate are generally best off with a simple feature cellphone.
- Elderly persons who have no need for the internet or cameras need not be bothered with the pain of smartphones: simple feature phones fit them awesomely.
- As a rule, elderly persons who are over 90 should on no account be bothered with smartphones…they present too much work at that age for users.
- Seniors who forget really easily, are suffering from dementia or any other medical challenges that infract on their memory are better off with a simple feature phone.
- Finally, grandparents who are found of their grandchildren and love to have them by are better off with a feature phone. Reason? Feature phones take abuses better than smartphones and kids are experts at abusing phones!
When a Smart Phone is the Best Option for the Elderly
- Seniors/elderly persons who are already computer literate are best off with a smartphone. The reasoning is that, they are already introduced to tech plus the smartphone will greatly assist them in carrying out other computer related tasks efficiently and on the go.
- Elderly persons who are fast learners will manage smartphones pretty well.
- Seniors who do not have bothersome grand kids will have no problems adapting to the smartphone reality, safely.
- Aged persons whose memory is great without the incidence of any challenge such as dementia will have no challenge using and adapting to an awesome smartphone.
- Finally, aged persons who take photos frequently or need to record sound or videos occasionally, usually, in an impromptu manner will require the aid of a reliable and dependable smartphone.
Having tackled this section, let’s look right next to something else: how to get elderly cellphone users to forget their phones less.
How to Get Seniors to Forget their Cellphones Less 🙂
The elderly and memory challenges are like 5 and 6…they are intricately related.
That being said, it does not make any sense to proceed and expend money on a cellphone when you’re not sure you’ll remember to carry it about.
Or, you’re pretty certain that the person you’re buying it for will wind up forgetting it at home 6 out of a 7 day week.
If, you’re not certain about this, a fixed phone will be your best bet.
However, if your mind is made up on a cellphone, here are some smart tips to ensure that either you or your loved ones do not wind up forgetting the piece of tech at work or work, on a daily basis:
i. Set Frequent Alarms or Reminders
The key to forgetting something frequently is not to bother about that thing at all.
This is true for other age groups and also holds really true for Seniors and the elderly.
Accordingly thus, to avoid forgetting your cellphone either at home or anywhere you go, you should set frequent alarms/reminders that will ultimately prop you back to ‘reality’, should you drift too far.
When you miss the alarm, you’ll understand that it’s time to look for where your cellphone is lying.
If you – or any Senior or elderly person you know deploys this tip, you’ll generally wind up forgetting your mobile phone less.
ii. Designate a Special Pocket to Carry your Cellphone
One of the major reasons we forget is that we fail to live in the present and are always distracted as a direct result.
To avoid this, especially in the elderly population as related to keeping custody of their cellphones, a special pocket should be designated for carrying the mobile phone.
This means that, if the right hip pocket is selected, the pocket should always – and consistently be used.
If it is the breast pocket, only the breast pocket should be used to carry the cellphone – at any given point in time.
This way, once one is either going out or preparing to leave a place, the hand will unconsciously tap on the pocket in question to confirm if the phone is there.
If it is, all good.
If it is not, then, the process of getting it back to its rightful position will commence 🙂
iii. Getting a ‘Personal Assistant’
Getting a ‘personal assistant’ is already a given for elderly persons – if they desire to avoid harm and avoidable accidents.
However, an assistant as used in this sense is not the same with the conventional use of the word.
In the world of the elderly, a personal assistant is anyone who helps with the needs of the elderly person in question.
This could be a child, a grandchild, friends, nurses, caregivers etc.
As a matter of fact, anyone who is close to an elderly person at any point in time and open enough to assist is an ‘assistant’ of a ‘personal’ nature at that point in time.
Such ‘assistants’ could smartly handle the task of ensuring that the cellphone of a Senior to whom he/she is responsible for at the moment is carried along to avoid incidences of missed calls.
iv. Making Calls to Loved Ones Frequently
Finally, using the human memory frequently exercises it in a most brilliant fashion.
For the business of getting Seniors to forget their feature phone or smartphone less, nothing works better than actually initiating calls to loved ones on a frequent basis.
If you’re fond of calling the ones you love on your mobile phone in a frequent fashion (or any other elderly person is for that matter), it would be much more difficult forgetting the phone at home or anywhere else.
Or, who ever forgets the memory of a dear, loved one? 🙂
Wrap Up: It’s Time to Decide for the Best Phone for the Senior in your Life. Or yourself 🙂
The process of selecting a new cellphone for an older person – whether it’s for yourself or an elderly loved one is not an easy process – let’s admit that.
It turns out much more difficult when you’re not sure whether the Senior in question would appreciate a feature phone or prefer a smart one.
If you’re buying for yourself, its 10X worse…making up your mind usually, is like deciding whether the US should invade another country or not 🙂
To make this process way easier and completely fun for you, we decided to publish this buying guide/review.
However, if you’ll want just 2 options to check out, kindly take a look at:
- The Jethro SC628 3G Unlocked Senior Cellphone (for the feature phone category) &
- The Google Pixel XL (for the smartphone category).
From the stables of best for Seniors online, we sincerely wish you the best of the choice, convenience and power cellphones offer users today, especially those who are advanced in age.
See you 🙂
This website is an active participant in the Amazon Affiliate Program. This means that, as an Amazon Associate, its webmaster(s) earn from qualifying purchases on Amazon.com (or any of its affiliated sites).